fot

TR-3/TR-4 Front Hubs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3/TR-4 Front Hubs
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:40:27 EST
Back in the late 60s/early 70s, the were several incidences of broken front
hubs.  I broke the right front hub at the Summit Point track.  The early sway
bar which mounted under the frame became a twisted mess, but probably saved a
lot of other damage.

The solution back then was to fill the neck of the hub with weld metal, drill
and tap longer bolt holes, and use longer bolts to connect the hub to the
brake disc.  This modification was supposed to reduce flexing.  The ultimate
fix was to buy expensive aluminum hubs.

I never tried the weld modification.  Every several races, I would die check
the hubs on the car to look for cracks.  I found one other cracked hub, which
I replaced.  No other hubs broke using 3" long 7/16" studs with aluminum
spacer plates.  I recently broke a spindle.

Frame and Engine ordered me a set of aluminum hubs from England a few years
ago, which I never got around to using.  This is one of my next projects.