fot

Re: Uglies

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Uglies
From: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:27:28 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, John Macartney wrote:

> Because one windtunnel is much like any other. Notwithstanding the inevitable
> about prickles and hedgehogs, that's one of the reasons why my much lamented
>Volvoappealed
> to me so much.  Quite apart from the fact it was supremely comfortable,  it
>had a drag
> co-efficient of a rough cast housebrick and at least it looked like something
>vaguely
> familiar - but I can't remember what.

I bought a '67 Volvo 144 from the original owners in 1981 -- very well
cared-for car. Seeing as it was white, a product of a Scandinavian
country, had that big refrigerator shelf of a front grille, and since the
light came on when one opened the door, it soon became known as "The
Norge" after the US (?) company that made such appliances. Heck of a car;
I'm still having trouble getting rid of it, and I'm not sure I want to.

Meanwhile, I recently saw one of the very newest Volvos on a street and
was very disappointed to see a car that could barely be told from an
Oldsmobile or Honda or ....

Makes me wonder what the 2000 Triumph Herald would've looked like (I'm
not even going to discuss what the new Rover "Mini" looks like. Ugh.)

--Andy