fot

Interesting turn of events

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Interesting turn of events
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 00:14:51 -0700 (MST)
A few of you may recall various posts of mine in the past about my affiliation
with Intermountain Vintage Racing, and you suffered through my whinings about
the lack of participation from local racers.  We've run events with a whopping
four, maybe half a dozen entrants if we got lucky.

Before tonight's brewing session, I attended a club meeting to go over the
event we held this past weekend, and plan for the one on April 15 and 16.  A
taxing chore, I am sure. [Okay, those of you who don't pay US of A income taxes
can ignore that reference.]  One of the topics of discussion was whether or not
we should put a limit on the number of entrants.  Wow.

In truth, we only had 9 drivers in the race group, and 11 in the touring
group.  Touring is basically no passing, safe distance between, no firesuit,
etc.  Somewhat like SCCA's Solo I, or various car clubs' time trials stuff.
Those kinds of numbers may seem paltry compared to events you folks attend,
but they could be just the ticket for our poor little group.  We had enough
entry fees to cover our costs, including the event's share of our annual
insurance bill, with maybe a couple of hundred net profit, so to speak.  Were
I to turn in the receipts for the last few years of newsletter mailings, the
bottom line would change, though.  I'll keep them stuffed in the desk for now.

Anyway, the turnout for this lovely weekend in the midst of acres of ancient
concrete was just about all that our staff of workers (basically Gordy and I)
could handle without losing control.  There were, naturally, various problems
in some areas, but overall it was quite a pleasant event.  RealSoonNow I'll
have a complete write up on the www.team.net/ivr pages.

I'll be out of town for the April event, but I am thinking about what it would
take to dust off the production racer I have stashed away, get the motor back
together and get it out there for the May 20/21 weekend.  Plus, it might be
fun to have that car at VTR in addition to Killer.  This racing stuff could
work out.

But for now, we have an autocross coming up Sunday, Killer needs attention.

mjb.