fot

TR6 Fan Shroud

To: "'fot@Autox.Team.Net '" <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Fan Shroud
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:26:16 -0500

A question regarding the necessity for a fan shroud on a TR6 race car:

I'm wondering how necessary the fan shroud is when the stock fan has been
removed and an electric fan installed, as I've done on my TR6. I've not
re-installed the shroud and have had no overheating problems to date,
although I've not yet raced it on a 90+ degree day.

At speed, so much air is being forced through the grille opening that the
shroud may be unnecessary. At idle on the grid, the electric fan turns just
as fast as it does at speed and (so far) had no trouble keeping the engine
cool.

Thoughts? If not necessary for cooling with an electric fan installed, does
the shroud serve any other purpose? Not a great weight saving, but if it
serves no purpose I'd regard it as just one more thing to come adrift.

Jim Hill
Madison WI