fot

SERIOUS VIRUS WARNING

To: <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SERIOUS VIRUS WARNING
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2000 16:01:37 +0100
FOTers

A serious virus with a subject heading of >ILOVEYOU< has hit the UK. It
comes with an attachment >LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU<.  Obviously dont open the
file or the attachment if you are unlucky enough to have received it. My
service provider instructed 'Delete the subject and attachment from your
inbox and from your trashbin and for God's sake don't open the file.'

This virus has just been reported on our lunchtime news and is causing
havoc over here - I've been told its even got into a 'House of Commons'
computer.  The virus is believed to be of Philippine origin.

A brief note from my service provider reads as follows:

VBS/LoveLetter is a VBScript worm. It spreads thru email as a chain letter.
The worm uses the outlook e-mail application to spread. LoveLetter is also
an overwriting VBS virus, and it spreads itself using mIRC client as well.
When it is executed, it first copies itself to Windows System directory
as:-

-MSKernel32.vbs
-LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs
and to windows directory:
-Win32DLL.vbs.
Then it adds itself to registry, so it will be executed when system is
restarted.

TAKE CARE

PAUL