fot

The Ten Cathedrals Run (UK)

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: The Ten Cathedrals Run (UK)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 18:59:32 +0100
Friends of Triumph
The list most generously contributed funds to this Charity Event that finished
today. Paul
and I took part in it in the oldest Triumph (a 1960 3A) and I know that some of
you have
received pictures in response to a thread I sent in the last week or so.
There is another one - if anyone would like it (write me off-list). This is not
a picture
of the car but the specially made "plate" that a very special person (whose
identity Paul
may be happy to reveal) helped us to apply to the car on Saturday morning.
As we were both the only ex-employees taking part in the the Run, it occurred
to me that
it would be entirely appropriate for our respective Dads to be remembered in
this very
genuine "Works" entry - and I'm pretty sure two ghosts were behind us in the
hoodstick
well on the 'perch' as we put in our 575 miles of driving in eighteen hours -
including
stops.
Of the ten Triumphs taking part that visited ten UK cathedral cities (three
TR6's visited
eighteen !!!!!!!!!!!) our 3A was the only "Works" entry. Quite apart from the
fact that it
was crewed by a couple of old f***s who should be old enough to know better, it
was the
oldest car taking part, it is a much treasured Gaydon possession and its
contribution to
the overall sponsorship from pledges was at least GBP1080 (US$1730) - and it
didn't miss a
beat. It will have generated more money when we've run all the pledges to earth
and
extracted filthy lucre from clutching and retentive fingers.
The whole event was enjoyed immensely by everyone taking part (or so they
said), we'll be
running it again next year and bi-annually thereafter, it was great fun - and
looking
back, I think I can say with some conviction that it was the most exciting
thing I've done
with my clothes on for rather longer than I can remember !

Jonmac