fot

Re: Cooling in the desert

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cooling in the desert
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:30:00 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/00 6:18:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

<<
 What engine/transmission is in your motorhome ?
 I have no experience with Ford, but with GM I'm OK.
 The transmission cooler IN the radiator is a joke. Worthless sales gimmick.
 Disconnect it and install a real transmission radiator, either in front or
 besides the regular radiator. These tranny radiators are available in any
 good transmission shop. >>
This is precisely what I'm thinking about.  I've got the dodge 440 in a
Winnebago and I'm thinking the in-rad trans cooler was probably a compromise
for winter/summer driving.  Out here in the West our winter driving is
relatively minor compared to our summers!  I've been told that the trans temp
will add 10 F to the rad (which proves it needs a cooler!!!).  I'm pondering
a separate air cooler with an electric fan, perhaps with a T-stat, to handle
the trans while the rad works overtime for the engine.  Can the trans run too
cool, as in Winter driving (Western style)???  Thanx for all the
observations, on my last trip home I pondered how I'll work hours to get a
1/10 th second improvement on the race car but I'll ignore the hauler I spend
six hours in each way.  It won't be much of a race if I can't get there!
Steve in Las Vegas