fot

Horn Tootin'

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Horn Tootin'
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:25:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folk,

I figured while John Mac and Paul R. were talking about Kent's trip
across the briney and with Unkle Jack talking about beating on PorCHes,
I'd mention (briefly) my second outing with Khartu.

The event was much more subdued than the first event. I managed four runs
without any major mishaps. No parts fell off and frankly my smile was as
big as Texas because I trophied - yes I trophied, but I will point out
that I ran in a class with only one competitor.

Weather was just plain _lousey_ with temps in the lower 50's and drizzle
on and off all day. A real "character builder". I was in the latter
stages of a cold, and a nice day outdoors in the cold/wet did wonders -
and I got a trip to the doctor the following day to try to put a stop to
the bronchitis that followed - but I digress.

My first run was complete with a _major spin_ when I tried to negotiate
an off camber turn a bit too hot... dropped all three pedals to the floor
and came out going the right way with the motor still running. When I
crossed the timing lights, a person was running up to my car waving part
of the "4" magnetic - looks like a bit too much bondo on the driver's
side door. Might have to look into "static cling" numbers instead of
magnetics...

The other runs were basically better and clean for the most part, and I
can say that slicks on a wet surface are an interesting phenomena that I
need some practice with.

Oil pressure is fine and the motor seems to rev. quite nicely, so I'm
pretty sure my initial outing's problems have been cured for the time
being. We'll yank the motor sometime later and confirm that - but not
'till the later autumn, I think.

All in all - it was great to run a Triumph, and I'm psyched for the rest
of the season. This car accellerates really fast. I need to get a 0 - 60
time for it. And I have to remember to plant my head back against the head
rest _before_ I let up the clutch. WOW.

Thanks for all the advice, list - it really does help.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |