fot

Re: NON TECH - Triumph History questions

To: Paul Richardson <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Subject: Re: NON TECH - Triumph History questions
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:37:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Paul Richardson wrote:

> Hi Gang

Hi Paul.

[stuff deleted]

> One of the many fascinating stories I've come across is the fact that the
> 'integrated' constant velocity final drive joint (whereby the CV joint is
> encased within a 'wheel bearing) was designed by a 'Triumph' engineer.
> Interestingly, these units were used on the final drive of the 1971 world
> championship winning Lotus F1 driven by Mario Andretti. BUT even the great
> Colin Chapman had to 'ask permission' to use them so as not to infringe
> patent rights.

not to nit-pick...

Ummm. Jackie Stewart won the 71 Fi GP World Championship for Tyrrell.

Mario's championship effort was '79 in the Lotus. In '71, MA drove for
Ferrari.

Is it possible that Tyrrell used the CV joints??

Lotus fielded cars with Emerson Fittipaldi and Reine Wisell (???) in '71.

Oh well.

> Paul

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |