fot

Fw: NON TECH - Triumph History questions

To: <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: Fw: NON TECH - Triumph History questions
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:42:25 +0100
Hi Bob and FOTers

Yes my mistake - many apologies to all - it was 1978 when Mario Andretti
won the F1 Championship in the JPS Lotus. Checking the tape, I was given
the wrong year (and didn't bother to check). I've also checked that the
integrated CV joint/wheel bearing (suitably designed 'up' for FI use) was
definitely used on Andretti's Championship Lotus that year.

Many thanks for pointing this out Bob

Best wishes

Paul

----------
> From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
> To: Paul Richardson <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
> Cc: fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: NON TECH - Triumph History questions
> Date: 31 May 2000 20:37
>
> On Wed, 31 May 2000, Paul Richardson wrote:
>
> > Hi Gang
>
> Hi Paul.
>
> [stuff deleted]
>
> > One of the many fascinating stories I've come across is the fact that
the
> > 'integrated' constant velocity final drive joint (whereby the CV joint
is
> > encased within a 'wheel bearing) was designed by a 'Triumph' engineer.
> > Interestingly, these units were used on the final drive of the 1971
world
> > championship winning Lotus F1 driven by Mario Andretti. BUT even the
great
> > Colin Chapman had to 'ask permission' to use them so as not to infringe
> > patent rights.
>
> not to nit-pick...
>
> Ummm. Jackie Stewart won the 71 Fi GP World Championship for Tyrrell.
>
> Mario's championship effort was '79 in the Lotus. In '71, MA drove for
> Ferrari.
>
> Is it possible that Tyrrell used the CV joints??
>
> Lotus fielded cars with Emerson Fittipaldi and Reine Wisell (???) in '71.
>
> Oh well.
>
> > Paul
>
> rml

---
> Bob Lang              Room N42-140Q          | This space for rent.
> Consultant            MIT Computer Services  |
> Voice: (617)253-7438  FAX: (617)258-9535     |

---