fot

Re: Hot Oil

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hot Oil
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:59:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 BillDentin@aol.com wrote:

> I agree with you.  I think 260 is too high.

I also agree.

Anecdotal evidence comes from my "VW days". I had a oil temp. and oil
press. gauge on all my beetles. When the oil would get up to about 210 or
so, I knew it was time to change the oil. There was also a corresponding
drop in oil pressure when the temp got up to the 210 range.

It was really predictable too. The temp would be a constant 180 or so,
then right at 1500 miles from the last oil change, the temp would
gradually rise to 200 or so then it would peak out at 210 - I'd change
the oil that night.

Never did an analysis of it, but I'll bet the lubrication qualities were
headed down the dumper at that point.

BTW, the oil temp gauge for the TR6 goes in the next time I drop the oil pan
(in a week or so).

> Bill

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |