fot

Slicks on a Spitfire, now what?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Slicks on a Spitfire, now what?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:09:17 -0600 (MDT)
Tomorrow afternoon, I'm planning on heading out to Wendover for the IVR
event, with Killer in tow.  And rather than trash my somewhat still soft
Hoosier autocrossers on the concrete out there, I plan on running some old
Goodyear road race slicks.  And it occurs to me I have no idea where to start
with tire pressures.  These are 20 x 8 x 13 Goodyear cantilever slicks from
quite some time ago, on 6" rims.  Any Spitfire racers out there with some
hints on tire pressures?  I should have my pyrometer on hand, so I will try
to get some temperature readings and adjust as necessary.  Should I start
with, say 25 psi in all tires?  40?  10?

I'll more than likely be just doing timed laps and not running in the race
sessions.  Neither me nor Killer are quite ready for 20 minutes of wheel to
wheel.  I *will* get working on the other car, I *will* get working on the
other car, ....

mjb.