fot

Re: Ford axle conversion

To: BillDentin@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford axle conversion
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:33:14 -0400
At 05:13 PM 7/25/00 -0400, BillDentin@aol.com wrote:
>John, we agree with all of the above, and when we look at the TRIUMPH axle
>and hub, we would think it would be easy to convert it to a full floating
>axle.  Any one have any idea why that was never pursued?  Are we missing
>something?

Hmmmm, interesting thought.  I'm not an engineer or anything, so I don't
know how hard it would be to attach the hub bearing carrier to the end of
the Triumph axle housing.  If it could be welded on, that would solve the
problem in a very elegant way.  If you were to do in such a way that you
could use off-the-shelf hubs (like the Speedway Mini-Stock hubs which
have the same 4 X 4.5" bolt pattern that they Triumphs use), you could
then readily replace components later on when they get old and tired.
I like this idea (although it won't help me at all).  If there's anything I
can do to help, let me know.

Cheers,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu