fot

Re: Ford 8" Rear Axle

To: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>, <JHarkness@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Ford 8" Rear Axle
From: "rem9" <rem9@sunlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:43:38 -0400
Steady lads! I have witnessed John Target snapping MGB Axles also.

A while back I mentioned there was a TR-4 race car with a full floating axle
setup in my neighborhood. Currently belongs to Gary Hatch who is at fault
for getting me into racing in the first place. Actually I worked on it a bit
years ago to assemble it from pieces when we brought it in from Conn.. If
there were a small group interested in looking at it as an alternative I am
sure I can get it into my shop where it could be dissected for close
examination. Probably Glen Effinger would be a good one to involve in this.
I need to get a computer to him anyway.
The history of this particular car was mostly at Limerock in SCCA events. It
had broken a few axles in it's day and only slowly made it's way off the
shoulder of the course. Wheels and bearings stay intact. It seems to be a
sweet setup as the stresses are no longer in a part that will cause an
airborne excursion.
I am flying out to Iowa to commune with fellow Spitfire Squadron and FOT
member Ed Ceilley for the next two days but will be back after that.
If a group of folks with TR3 and 4 race cars want to document and dimension
this cure let me know.

Russ Moore