fot

Re: TR3 Rear Brakes

To: "Henry Frye" <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Brakes
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:09:13 -0700
----- > >
> First of all, a hearty congrats on getting those Webers in and
sorted so
> quickly! From what I have heard, that is not an easy undertaking.

I am still sorting them out and have ordered some additional little
brass bits.  I'm told that there is still more to get out of them.

> I am in process, along with several others, of attempting to figure
out the
> easiest and cheapest solution to the rear axle thing. SVRA will
allow any
> axle we want to use as long as the track is correct, and it keeps
the drum
> brakes. What are your guidelines? Are you required to keep the TR
axle
> housing?

In the Volvo Series I would be able to run any axle.

> I'm far from convinced that any direction is better than another.
One
> possible route is to get a Ford 8" rear shortened, new axles and
hubs, etc.
> I have a rough quote of $3000 for this. I sort of doubt it could be
done a
> whole lot cheaper...
>
> The other contender is to modify the existing rear axle housing to
take a
> bigger bearing at the axle end, and make new axles and hubs to fit.

I was at Kim Graff's shop today out in Amsterdam,NY and we discussed
this.  An MGB axle housing measures 46.25 inches from the outside of
the brake backing plates.  The TR4 measures 45.75 so they are very
close.  Apparently the hot MG set up it to take the center section
from an MGA or early B and put the axle tubes and every thing else
from an late B onto the center section.  There are even new gear sets
available for the MG's.  For the TR3's the MGA tubes may be an easier
fit since the MGA assembly is shorter than the B.  But I could not get
any dimensions.

Have you gone out and measured any of the Ford stuff yet?  I was
looking thru the Jegs catalog and saw that the 8.8 Ford Diff has 4.3
gears available.  the 8.8 was used on some small p/u trucks and 85 and
later mustangs. Some of the Mustangs have rear discs so it would even
be a better conversion.  Joe(B)