fot

Re: Potential Triumph axle source

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Potential Triumph axle source
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 13:47:42 -0400
Jack, and the respective groups,

This appears to be a very economical solution. This is about half the cost
I have been quoted for essentially the same thing.

My question is just how strong is the stock Ford 8" axle? To the best of my
knowledge stock Ford 8 inchers are not full floaters. Can the axle that was
built to haul around a Ford Fairmont handle the rigors of racing a TR???

On a related note, I was driving on the local interstate last week and saw
an old Ford pickup off the side of the road with a broken axle... The axle
let loose from the diff, and the truck temporarily became Wide Track Ford.
My brother had a similar vintage Ford PU and the same thing happened to
him. I have no idea if the design is the same, but if it is, this is an
area we need to address!

At 12:21 PM 8/7/00 -0500, Jack W. Drews wrote:
>Here are the particulars:
>
>Ford 8" axle
>Housing and shafts narrowed
>Bolt hole circle re-machined
>New Auburn Positrac, installed
>Spring perches moved
>New ring and pinion installed, your choice of ratio
>New diff bearings
>New axle bearings
>Drive shaft (yours) modified for Ford universal joint
>
>Price around $1500, you pay shipping.

Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net
Proud (???) Recipient of the FOT
Pain and Perseverance Award