fot

scca/axle failures

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: scca/axle failures
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 01:02:12 EDT
I had four half shaft failures.

One of these broke outside of the bearing during the pre Runoffs warm-up in
turn 5
at Atlanta.  It launched the car, but the tire wall save me; and with help
from quite a number of people (TS was one of them!) I actually ran the race.
The corner weights were not quite 300 pounds off.

Although my TR3 had the early rear axle assembly when it was built, this had
been replaced before I purchased it.  I wonder if the TR3 built with TR2
pieces still has the early unit where the hub is splined to the half shaft,
and the brake backing plate has four, not six set screws.  I hope not!

The info should be sent to the comp board; probably CCd to the directors.  If
it does not work this time, then we can worry about politics.

BTW I always lapped the taper for maximum stability & surface contact.

HP