fot

Re: Maine Forest Pro Rallye

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maine Forest Pro Rallye
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:45:50 -0400
At 1:20 PM -0400 8/16/00, Bob Lang wrote:
>I was flipping through the tele' the other night... alright - I was
>sitting there watching Speedvision... they had coverage of the Maine
>Forest Pro Rallye... great lead-in to the F1 Hungary coverage!

        Lead-in, my butt! Rally drivers are Real Racers!

>Anyway, they showed a clip several times of a rather nasty looking roll
>into the woods - a TR7! At least I think it was a TR7. The crowd helped
>put the car back "on track" and it appears to have finished the event,
>although the rear roof section was rather "rearranged".

>Hmmm, a quick look at the web site confirms that it was A John Shirly and
>Rob Hughes from Knoxville, TN and Washington, DC respectively. And it was
>a TR7/V8. And they finished 3rd or 4th in Group 5 about 30th overall.
>Pretty impressive!

>Wait - I see a certain Philip Barnes listed as a navigator in an Eagle
>Talon... Phil??? Are these folks potential FOT's??

If I recall correctly, John was nominated to the list last summer about the
same time I was. His roll was quite spectacular, non? Caused quite a stir
when he came into service and the crew went after the car with God's Own
Prybars to get things back into shape. Having ridden in that car a number
of times, I can say that Rob probably needed a clean pair of shorts before
setting out for the forest again.

Since my household is bereft of Speedvision, I haven't seen the tape, but
I've seen stills from it. We had too much fun that weekend.

Phil Barnes
Cortland, NY
peb3@cornell.edu

"This reminds me of my first job,
before crash-test dummies became popular."