fot

Scattershields?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Scattershields?
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:20:46 -0400
Greetings,

All this talk on scattershields got me thinking. Always a dangerous thing...

My car has canted vertical steel plate extending from the drivers floor to
the bottom of the stock battery box. In addition, there is a 3/16"
aluminium plate on the drivers floor that extends under the vertical plate.
Looks simple, and somewhat effective at saving my legs. I was planning on
replacing the floor plate this year with 1/4 steel. All this talk about
scattershields and the relative affordability of Mordy's proposal got me to
standing in line for one...

As this thread has emerged, I have had a few thoughts.

First, the idea of wrangling with an oil soaked kelvar encapsulated,
fiberglass impregnated ballistic blanket makes the already painful job or
removing and replacing an OD gearbox sound almost intolerable. I sort of
like the idea of installing the blanket in the gearbox tunnel, and along
with some steel in the drivers floorpan. To me, this sounds like a good
solution.

But, I have a question. I have heard the stories of exploding flywheels and
clutches. I am missing one piece of data. What kind of RPM's does it take
to detonate a flywheel and/or clutch? Am I in danger of loosing one running
a stock crank with a lightened stock flywheel and a stock TR6 diaphragm
pressure plate, the whole assembly balanced,  turning a max of about 6000?
OK, my telltale at the Glen did read 6500 after the feature...  ;-)

Or, is detonating a flywheel/clutch reserved to those of you running the
Moldex cranks, aluminium flywheels and Tilton clutches and crank it up over
7000 regularly???

As always, thanks for any input.
Henry Frye - thefryes@iconn.net
Finally added some race car stuff to the website.
http://members.iconn.net/~thefryes/race/raceintro.html