fot

Clutch Update

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Update
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:36:00 -0700
I know you are all dying to hear the latest in my never ending saga of the
Spitfire clutch.  So here goes:

Ted S. Sent me a different disk at the end of the week before last.  THis one
is a round one with a stock type lining.  But it is a
solid disk (no springs).

I started the process of installing, removing spacers and reinstalling until I
got a metal sliver in my eye the day before I left for
Triumphest.  So I was forced to stop.

After a visit to the Eye Doctor and a wet weekend at San Diego, I was back into
the project today.  I removed the final spacer and it
releases ok, but I noticed that I could push in on the pedal and it would
release, but additional pressure would cause it to bind.

Investigation indicated that the hub of the disk was much too close to the
fingers on the pressure plate, so I measured the hub to find
that it was about a quarter of an inch thicker in the rear than the stock disk
which has plenty of clearance.  So I got out the grinder
and eliminated that 1/4 inch of extra length and it looks like it will work now.

But I didn't put it back in because after 17 times installing and removing the
pressure plate, I have about worn out the bolts.  So I
will finish up tomorrow after a trip to the auto parts store.  Wish me luck!!!

On the same subject, I am wondering if Vince de Palma figured out what was
causing his clutch troubles at the PIR VARA races.  Vinny,
are you out there?

Regards,
Joe (C)