fot

'Jet history' at Canley

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: 'Jet history' at Canley
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:11:57 +0100
Hi Gang

Yesterday I was listening to a taped interview I made with the late John
Turnbull (designer at Standard Triumph until 1957/8) about a year ago, and
it was the first time I listened to the tapes right through without
skipping bits.

I found out that he first met my father during the war when Ken visited the
Canley shadow factory. John at that time was working on the 'Jungle Bug.'
Apparently, a prototype fuselage etc. for the experimental F940 jet
aircraft, designed by the Gloucester Aircraft Company, was built at Canley.
This aircraft (together with the 'E28') was the first jet aircraft to fly
(with 'Whittle' jet engines). I know my father was involved with the first
jets - on engine test and installation - based at a secret facility at
Barnoldswick in Yorkshire, which was initially run by the Rover Company.

John said that my father had come down to Canley with several people to
look at the F940 fuselage.

I knew nothing of this, and had obviously forgotten it coming up in my
interview with John. I don't think anyone else realized that the Standard
Motor Company shadow factories produced the fuselage and probably other
airframe assemblies for the very first jet aircraft.

Best wishes

Paul