fot

Re: Nontech: Monterey & An Idea for a Triumph Event

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Nontech: Monterey & An Idea for a Triumph Event
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:25:55 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:

[much stuff deleted]

>     I am not very well informed on Triumph events, so maybe there is truly a
> national annual event for Triumph racers and autocrossers. I have been of the
> opinion for sometime that FOT should consider working with VTR and others to
> create a combination autocross, concours and race event for Triumphs (if not
> MGs & British cars in general). I think Joe's efforts to organize efforts at
> Mid-Ohio are a good starting point. And FOT membership could certainly field
> a nice selection of automobiles.

I too would love to see this. The mid-ohio venue is probably the most
likely place for this to happen - in 2002. Now I know that the autocross
part of the event would be the hardest to pull off... but I'd be willing
to try to help promote it at the very least.

Let's see... VTR/TRA/Vintage/Solo meet at Mid-Ohio.

Has a nice ring to it.

Hopefully it wouldn't get bogged down in "politics".

>     We could create the event so it has different eras of race cars, so post
> 1972 cars could appear as they where raced. Hardy could get the white car out
> of the basement. Ted, Vernon and Bill could run their TR8s. Current SCCA
> racers could also participate, so we could see different eras of these cars.

This would be very kool. Frankly, I'm eager to see Vern's (ex-Slagle) TR8
on track. Seeing it on track with Bill's car would be even kooler.

Interestingly, Steve Earle actually staged a race like this years ago
(75??) at Monterey with Tullius and Lee Mueller in a match race in V12
Series III E-types. Very fun indeed.

But we can't offer Mr. Earle the kind of promotional money that Jaguar or
others might.

On the other hand, the Mid-Ohio venue does seem rather accomodating. I
know that the folks there were very accomodating to me this year. Maybe
they can help us find a suitable autocross venue....

>     And more of the triumph racers of times past might be motivated to make
> an appearance. Who knows, maybe Tullius Group 44 TR7/4 might just appear to
> seek revenge on Bill's PLN's TR6. Garbage trucks might appear with signs
> stating that TR7s can really beat TR6s.

I already commented on this.

> Regards, Cary

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |