fot

FOT/VTR Curious

To: mjb@cs.utah.edu, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: FOT/VTR Curious
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:05:36 EST
While we are at all of this inquiry stuff, which I hope will spin off into
something special for the FOT. No response asked for at this time, unless you
wish.

A couple of my thoughts:

We already have a major Triumph organization in place called the Vintage
Triumph Register and they/we have a major convention each year that includes
autocrossing and a car show. (BTW, If you are a 'member' of FOT, but not a
member of VTR, it may be something to consider)

I started to get interested in Paul Smock's comment about track rental in the
middle of the week....hmmmmm! This makes some sense for some long haul folks
and the economics might be more attractive.

Progressing on...VTR Convention usually starts about Wednesday, usually at a
desirable destination location. Let's say that the VTR and the informal FOT
combined forces (synergism, eh?)....and put together a proposal that would
include:

Road Racing Triumphs....
Autocrossing Triumphs....
Rallying Triumphs....
Show Triumphs...

Combining a VTR Convention with Vintage Triumph Racing has been suggested for
the All Triumph Race at Mid-Ohio in 2002. The downside to this is that the
event time frame is too compact and it is trying to do too many things within
that time frame...and with limited motel space.

There has to be a optimum solution here...

Many people use up the whole week going and coming to VTR anyway...and if
this event was held within striking distance of another significant road
racing event on the previous or following weekend it could be an advantage to
long or short haul guys.

<< There's roughly 150 folks on the FOT lists.  I'll include them below, just
 for grins.  I don't know how many responses you've actually gotten for the
 survey, but I'd guess it is around 10% or so.

 On a vaguely related note, I've been working a bit on the web based browsing
 for the list archives, having a bit of trouble.  If one were to point a web
 browser at

  http://vitesse.team.net/cgi-bin/wilma/fot

 you would be able to rummage through almost all the old list mail.  For some
 reason yet unknown the archiver is not adding the last four months.  If you
 try to search the archives, for, say, 'Formcar' or 'Gloria', you will get
some
 response.  The trouble is the program which generates these responses is
 misbehaving, and putting way too many path names into the links, so just
 clicking on them won't work.

 Chances are I'll be too busy to fix it this week, and will be out of town
 for a long weekend.  I'll work on getting this archiving fixed soon, though,
 it is a useful feature.  I will have time to add a few more of my comments
 to the FOT racing event discussion, though!

 mjb. >>