fot

Re: Survey Still Ongoing - Every Survey Counts

To: <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Survey Still Ongoing - Every Survey Counts
From: "Wendy Hart" <hartw@plastekgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:16:25 -0500
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted anything sooner, but they expect me to do stuff like
work here ;)

I guess all I can contribute right now is a list of questions that might
need to be asked. Keep in mind that I am interested in a Triumph Comp Fest:

1. Travel is obviously an important factor. There is no way to make everyone
happy, but if there are enough decent accommodations close to the event,
hopefully there will be more attendees. Of course, "decent" is a relative
term. Some folks might want five-star hotels, while others would be happy
with a/c and a shower and yet others would just look for someplace they can
park the truck and throw a blanket underneath for the night.

2. Economics would be the deciding factor in whether or not it's triumphs
only. Not only will the cost of the track rental need to be considered, but
also things like corner workers (some F&C organizations will require a fee;
don't know how much offhand), trophies, food & beer for a party, insurance,
etc. It would be necessary to have enough entries to defray the costs. Maybe
a British Auto Event with Triumphs as the featured marque?

3. Location. To have autocrossing, racing and a show, you need a big
facility that can handle all three venues, unless it's decided to have
racing and SoloI events share the racetrack by occurring at different times.
I would prefer not to have everything happen at once, since I autocross with
my TR6, I work corners for SCCA events (and would do so here, too) and who
knows? Maybe our TR7 will be ready to race by the time this happens! I would
be disappointed if I have to choose between one venue or the other.

4. How serious do we want the racing to be? This would be a big determining
factor in how to class the cars and how... gentlemanly?... the rules are
designed. Of course, the vast majority of us have no desire to dink up our
cars, but all you need is one who might not care as much... The higher the
level of competition, the more complicated the rules and classifications
become, and more protests are filed. Less strict, and the driver hands a guy
$100 and gets to drive around the track all day (I'm thinking of something
like a Nelson Ledges Fun Day, if anyone's heard of those), no trophy at the
end of the day, just a lot of Triumphs getting a lot of track time.

I do think it would be a great idea, if it could be pulled off. It would
take the efforts of many dedicated people carefully planning the whole
event. I would love to see as many Triumphs competing as possible, both on
the race track and the autocross course. If it runs, drive it!!! Personally,
I don't care if all the cars are in pristine condition. Mine certainly
isn't!

I also wish that I could give a definite "yes, I'll be there" or "sorry,
can't make it". Our TR6 is going to need a bit of cash dumped into it to get
it running decently again, we're expecting our first child in June this year
and my husband is looking for employment, not necessarily close to our
current home. So I can't even make a good suggestion for a good race track
location since we're not sure where we'll be living in the next couple
years!!

I hope no one is taking any of my questions offensively; it is not my intent
to insult anyone or shoot any ideas down at this very early stage of
planning. I'm simply mentioning some questions that I personally have about
how to pull this thing off.

Thanks,
Wendy Hart
75 TR6