fot

RE: Tools for disassembly of GT6 rear hubs

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tools for disassembly of GT6 rear hubs
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:17:17 -0600
Brad,

I also have one of the TSSC pullers (about 3 years old) that works fine in
conjunction with my IR 2131 air impact.

The problem I found is that the TSSC tool (and possibly the Churchill too?)
has a nice thick base where it meets the hub, through drilled with about a
1/2" hole.  The late Spitfire stock lug nut only threads on about 6 turns...
not enough to hold well without stripping.

I ultimately found it better to knock the wheel studs out of the hub and use
grade 5 1/2" bolts (Rockford, of course!) to bolt the puller to the
hub/axle.  Once connected it takes less than a minute for the air impact to
do it's job.

The other downside to the TSSC tool is shipping from the UK.  Seems to be no
matter what I order, it costs $50 to get it to the states.  For small parts.
Large bits are correspondingly more expensive.  Glad I'm not into Rolls at
the moment.

Maybe the Guiness importer could toss a box of hub pullers in the next
freighter full of beer?

Cheers,

Jim