fot

Discussion Topic: FOT - VTR Cooperation Efforts

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Discussion Topic: FOT - VTR Cooperation Efforts
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:47:16 EST
FOTers

    It is relatively clear to me that the feasibility of a national FOT
gathering is dependent on the investment in time and effort being worth the
"fun" factor. From the survey comments, for the FOT racers this translates
primarily to "major" track time. I see this accommodated best through Triumph
race/test days prior to a Triumph friendly event like Mid Ohio 2002. We need
to have many more Triumph racers to make a weekend Triumph only event only
feasible.

    I have no experience with VTR. I do have with the Ferrari and Porsche
clubs. The regional Ferrari and Porsche clubs routinely schedule
meeting/events to coincide with races honoring the marque. Sometimes,
national events are scheduled to coincide with such races (primarily Monterey
Historics). For example, the Ferrari club has a track day on the Monday after
the Monterey Historics. With factory support, both clubs are able to have a
nationwide club race series for both vintage and current cars.

    From my personal perspective, I think the most viable approach for
FOT-VTR cooperation is having regional VTR host autocrosses/car shows at
events selected by FOT for either regional and/or national gatherings. It
would be nice if from time to time we can schedule the national FOT and VTR
meetings at the same location. But I think that the priority in selecting
such a joint location has to be a major race honoring the marque (e.g.
Mid-Ohio 2002 ?).

    From my perspective, the common interest between FOT and VTR is
preserving the histories of these automobiles. It would seem in VTR interests
to schedule their events at major events where at the very least the VTR
members see cars looking much like their own competing on the race track. I
also sure that VTR would like to see some of the original period race cars
which would more probably show at a major event.

    My understanding is that VTR has a successful program for rotating events
around the country. It would seem feasible that if FOT has a national event
every other year at a mid-states location, that VTR could still maintain a
rotating pattern in the non-FOT national years. And VTR could during those
"off" years, support the region FOT gatherings with regional VTR gatherings.

    I am not sure how feasible this approach is to FOT-VTR cooperation.
However, it seems the best compromise between those of us with more or less
pure racing interesting and those interested in the fuller scope of VTR
activities (car shows, etc.)

    In closing, I would also state that there seem to be considerable
interest in an all British race event. This would make it more feasible to
have a weekend event. Perhaps VTR could play a significant role here in
interesting different marques to schedule car shows at nation events at the
same time as a British friendly event/ FOT gatherings.

    That my $.02 worth, what is your opinion?

Regards, Cary