fot

Wheel Studs... Again

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel Studs... Again
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 11:07:29 -0700
Thanks for all the responses I received to my question about the wheel studs.

While seeking an answer, I decided to take a hard look at the old (smaller)
studs I took out and compare them with what I was trying to
use.  Here's what I discovered:

Like the front hubs, the rear hubs have a tapered hole where the studs insert.
All the studs I took out have a tapered head that fits
into that hole.  THe TR6 heads are flat and therefore are not going far enough
into the hole to secure the knurls.

I had previously noticed this same thing on the front hubs and was unable to
use the TR6 studs without grinding the heads into the same
taper that the old studs have.

So I meticulously worked one set of studs on my bench grinder to replicate that
tapered head and then reinstalled them.  They do stick
out a bit further than before and at least for now appear to stay in place.  I
will do the other side the same way and then see if
wrestling the wheels on and off affects the security of those studs.

But for now, I at least know what the problem is.  Time will tell if I have a
permanent fix.

THanks again,
Joe (C)