fot

TR4 broken crankshaft-reuse block?

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 broken crankshaft-reuse block?
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:43:06 -0600
FOT,
I just got around to disassembling the TR4 motor which popped last summer. I
found some suspect pieces of flat brass shim stock in the oil pan of the
current motor, and having ruled out all other sources, I decided to check
that engine for evidence. Sure enough, the brass shim behind the crank
sprocket was coming apart, and pieces must have migrated to the accumulator
at some point and dumped back in many miles later. That's another story, but
at least the mystery is solved and I'm relieved to know where it came from.

So here I am with a broken engine and I'm not sure if I can reuse the block.
The crank was broken clear through in the counterweight at #4. With all 3
main journals intact, and it cracked in such a fashion that it pushed the
crank around anyway.  The motor rotated fine. Visual examination showed that
#4 piston had bounced off the cylinder head enough times to flatten out in
the shape of the squish area with nothing else appearing out of whack (other
than a disintegrated brass crank sprocket shim). I know I need to get the
head crack tested before reusing, but what about the block. Does this type
off damage spread the bearing recesses in the block or caps or cause other
damage which I need to check or should I just toss it? TIA

Bob Kramer
TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon
rgk@flash.net