fot

Gearbox Problem

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Problem
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:30:21 +0000
I wanted to thank everyone who replied to my question about my mysterious
gearbox problem from last weekend.

Several people suggested trouble with the circlip coming loose causing the hub
to slip on the main shaft.  I checked that with the top
cover off and it appears to be intact.  In fact everything appears to be in
place and solid.  No wear on gears or mysterious brass
colored flecks in the oil.

Many asked what kind of oil I am running (Valvoline SAE80-W90 gear lube) but I
guess this is acceptable because nobody suggested that I
change.

So, I took Kas' advice and dumped some graphite (suspended in oil) into the
gearbox in hopes that it will cure what may very well be a
synchro sticking to the gear cone as he experienced in the past.  I do recall
that when I was assembling the gearbox, I did have
trouble with at least one of the synchros sticking to its mating cone.  So
without any evidence of any other trouble, I'll assume that
this is it.

The next autocross isn't for a couple of weeks so I'll know more after that
event.

Thanks again,
Joe (C)