fot

Re: Assuming 4.11's are around?

To: Brad.Kahler@141.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Assuming 4.11's are around?
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:38:19 EST
In a message dated 03/01/2001 9:31:15 AM Central Standard Time,
Brad.Kahler@141.com writes:

> For those of you who really want to scream off the starting line there is a
> possiblity that the Mayflower 5.38:1 (Andy Mace should be able to confirm
> this ratio) gears will bolt onto the TR2/4 carriers.

Brad:

5.38:1

Geeez!

My TOW VEHICLE is a 1950 Chevrolet ONE TON Panel Truck.  It has four on the
floor, including a 'Granny Stump Puller' first gear.  I can't remember for
sure, but I think the truck came with a 5.73:1 ring and pinion.  This truck
was built for 'around town deliveries', and never meant to go over about 45
mph.  We converted the rear end to 4.1:1 so that it would cruise at modern
highway speeds.  It now cruises comfortably at about 65 mph.  It will
probably go faster, but with its solid beam front axle and old fashioned
front suspension...I don't care to be in it.  It still has the 1950 brakes
too.  Before I installed a Hydrovac helper, the tow to the track was a lot
more exciting that the racing when and if I got there.

I can still move a house with that Granny Gear.

Bill Dentinger