fot

Texas Triumphs at CVAR! (Slightly long, but hey, you know me!

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Texas Triumphs at CVAR! (Slightly long, but hey, you know me!
From: Susan Hensley <racespit@netzero.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:38:24 -0600
Hi all!

Whew -- we got back from Texas World Speedway a little while ago and got
Tristan and the truck unloaded.  It was a GREAT weekend!

FOT attendees:  Joe (a), Kent Howard, Irv Korey, Bob Kramer, Ed Barnard,
Richard Hardison, Jeff Wilt, Brad and myself, and our new member and TVR
owner John Price.  The track was set in the 2.9-mile counter-clockwise
configuration, and it was the first time I have run it with the back
section open -- fun!!  We had a record attendance of 153 -- previously
the record was 139.  There were 30 novices attending the school!

Unfortunately, Kent's car had gearbox problems -- he got track time
Friday but the box kept popping out of 3rd gear.  Seems the fellow he
had do some engine work decided to rummage around in the
perfectly-running gearbox as a "favor" to Kent, and it ended up in
Kent's missing all of the practices Saturday and putting his car on the
trailer and heading out Sunday.  We did all get to ooh and aah over the
new Howard Hilton tow vehicle, which is a Hilton in its own right!

Joe and Linda stopped in to visit and headed out Sunday morning.  Irv
came in with Bob Kramer and was a big help to everyone as usual during
the whole event.  (I learned if you give Irv pecan brittle he will move
heaven and earth for you... ;)  Bob ran some great laps and looked
really good on the track -- he moved from 6th place in his first race to
fourth in the second race Sunday.  Unfortunately, Group 1 & 2's third
races were cancelled due to Judy Green's falling in the tower and
requiring the ambulance to take her to the hospital for a possible
broken hip, and we couldn't start again until we got the ambulance back
(Judy is Radio Control).  We all wish her well and a speedy recovery!
And, just as in October, Jeff's last race was in the rain.  Hey, it
gives his kids more polishing time (it's always a family affair for the
Wilts)!  Don't say the words, "Trail Mix" to him, however!  :)

I attended the driver school Friday night and ran in the school sessions
Saturday.  Tristan ran well but then started overheating.  It turned out
the lower radiator hose blew a hole and the gasket between the water
pump housing and the block was bad also.  After getting these challenges
overcome, I had a great race first thing Sunday with Group 2!  (It's
WONDERFUL having a crew chief -- THANK YOU Brad!!!! :)  Unfortunately
for me and Tris, we blew a head gasket in the second race but finished
with a sign-off on my first race weekend out of three toward my license
(and a HUGE smile!!!).  My "fun" event of the weekend was taking Turn 6
too hot Saturday in a school session and spinning on track, coming to a
rest stalled out in the middle of the exit from the turn facing oncoming
traffic!  Whew -- talk about an eerie feeling watching Porsches and
other fast cars whizzing two abreast through the turn right at me, while
I am thinking, "These 30 guys are ALL novices and are still learning to
pay attention to the flags!  Don't hit me don't hit me don't hit me!!!"
I got Tristan restarted after a few tense moments and got back on course
(facing the right way, this time).  I had forgotten to turn on the
in-car camera for that session, and boy, that would have made GOOD
video!

We did have a Porsche crack up into the wall entering the front straight
-- totalled the car but the driver was fine.  He came out of the final
turn too hot and waaaay out of line and lost it.

In closing, a good time was had by all (possibly with the exception of
Kent) and it was great to spend time with everyone.  I will send some
photos to Mordy and Henry for inclusion on the Web site, including the
one(s) with our great new banners!

I hope ya'll had as good a weekend as I did!!!  Get ready for Marvelous
May Races at CVAR!!!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan   :)
#42 Spit Tristan