fot

Quaiffe Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Quaiffe Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:23:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Talk about alliteration...

I drained the oil from my differential late last week, chips fell out.
Dropped the differential pumpkin and popped the cover - broken ring and
pinion.

$#!^

Anyway, I've been running a Quaiffe in this car. Besides the identifiable
gear chips, there was also some "swarf" in the case. I assume the swarf
has entered the Quaife.

My question: should I try to dismantle and clean the Quaife myslelf or
should I send it to be "serviced". I have no documentation on the Quaife
unit, so I'm leaning towards having it serviced.

My alternative is to use the spare Detroit Locker... so I'm not completely
blown out of the water at this stage.

Final question: anybody got a lead on some "gears"? I'll need a spare once
I get this thing back together. I prefer the 4.88, but on rethinking, I
might consider 4.55, 4.30 and 4.10.

I'm leaning towards 4.10 (since they seem to be more "available") as there
may be some time trials in my future - but seeing that this is an
autocrosser and seeing that I do have a "close ratio gearbox" in my near
future, I want to make sure that I can still accelerate from a dead stop.

Comments and suggestios are always welcome.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |