fot

Re: Driver restraints

To: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Driver restraints
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:07:45 +0000
William G Rosenbach wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> With the untimely passing of Dale Earnhardt and the warning about the
> MOMO belt defects it seemed like a good time to talk about proper
> installation of a restraint.
>
> The heart of any restraint system is the lap belt.

> There are other considerations for fitting the rest of the components of
> a restraint system but the lap belt is the first step in getting you as
> safe as you can be in the drivers seat.
>
> Keep 'em upright,
> Bill 70 GT-6+

Good comments. I'm also interested in knowledgeable comments and or
documented rules (as opposed to unsupported opinions) on the shoulder harness
installation. My older SCCA GCR indicates that the shoulder harness ideally
should pass over the shoulders at a 90 deg angle to the spine, but the
allowance is that it must in no case be below a line sloped downward to the
rear more than 40 deg (45 in a laydown position car). This is because the
shoulder harness should prevent forward motion and should not compress the
spine in case of rollover.

Is this a correct understanding of the principles involved? If so, I see
numerous cars with improperly installed shoulder harnesses.

--

uncle jack

Like I said, "Life isn't long enough for me to do another ground-up
restoration". Well, thank goodness, it is.