fot

Re: : Driver restraints

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: : Driver restraints
From: "Wendy Hart" <hartw@plastekgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:41:22 -0500
Bill and all:

I don't think that Mordy was suggesting to keep shoulder belts loose. I
think he was saying to not bolt them to the car in such a way that they
create a downward-facing angle from your shoulders (ie, don't bolt them to
the shelf behind the seat; find or build a place that will make the belts
point slightly upwards). His lap belts are what holds Mordy in the seat,
should he find himself with the shiny-side down.

I have always tightened my shoulder belts by cinching them in, then exhaling
as much as I can, then cinch them in again. This is a trick my husband
picked up when he started racing in SCCA an he taught me when I started
autocrossing. The theory is that right before the event is when you're most
excited and also when you're tightening your belts. Once you are out on
course, you begin to relax and your belts end up looser than when you
started. The race car's shoulder belts are also attached to a horizontal bar
on his roll cage, right behind the seat and high enough so the belts are
parallel to the ground (SCCA EProd. '83 Dodge Shelby Charger).

It makes sense to keep your belts tight. Your shoulder belts prevent you
from being thrown forward. If your belts are loose and you are thrown
forward, hitting your loose belt would be like hitting your steering wheel.
If you are in a collision, regardless if you're in your competition car or
your grocery-getter, there are two impacts: the one where your bones hit
something (the belts, steering wheel, etc) and the one where your innards
hit your bones. I'd rather my innards hit bones that are intact and not
collapsed, pointy shards! Also, when you're belts are tight, there isn't
anything for your chest to impact; the belts are holding you in place.

Hope this helps someone, or if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

Later,

Wendy Hart
75 TR6
76 TR7