fot

Re: Unmuffled race engine dB level

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unmuffled race engine dB level
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@cstone.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:46:39 -0500
At 12:22 PM 3/21/01 -0500, Henry Frye wrote:
>I was getting excited until I see on their application they
>require muffled cars to keep the noise down to a level of 81 dB moving and
>74 dB stationary.

For what its worth, our Caterhams with full mufflers are at about
83 or 84 db (and you can hardly hear them on track).  Around
here most tracks require 103 db, and we can easily meet that
with a bullet-type muffler and pointing the exhaust away from
the sound meter.

81 db is definitely very quiet - very close to what a street car
would be, I'd guess.

R. John Lye

rjl@gt-classics.com
http://www.gt-classics.com/