fot

Other toys

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Other toys
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:05:48 -0700
I decided I wasn't getting enough racing time, so I bought a toy to play
in SCCA and ICSSC--a D Sports racer called a Radical. It's an under 1000
pound (until you put my fat butt in it) car with a 1000 cc Kawasaki
motorcycle engine. Raced this weekend for the first time.

Oh Lord, that's a bit different.

My fastest time around PIR in Peyote is 1:38. In the Radical, first race
ever, without a qualifying time or morning practice (broken coil wire)
starting from the back with a big old Novice sticker -- 1:26. Finished
fifth overall and second DSR, beating all the CSRs and Formula Atlantics
in the race group. First DSR was another Radical with an experienced
driver, turning 1:20, who finished third behind two S2s

The traditionalists might be pleased to know I ordered it in BRG (it's
made in Blimey). No, I'm not going to stop Vintage racing--my big regret
for the weekend was that Peyote was not ready to run--the local SCCA
always has a vintage grid. And I'm working hard at getting my Cheatin' TR3
back in the fray. I just want more seat time.

But boy oh boy, that Radical sure does shorten up a track.