fot

Re: MG-TRIUMPH Challenge

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG-TRIUMPH Challenge
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:04:23 -0600
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> I'd love to attend Buttonwillow May 5/6, but most likely I'll be fixing
> whatever broke on whichever Spitfire I end up taking to the IVR event in
> Wendover.  Craig Lillywhite, who used to have this Really Neat '32 Miller
> dirt track car he'd run in some of our events, said this was usually a
> good event.
>
> On a side note, I finally got around to adding Michael Porter to the list,
> this should be the first FOT message he gets.  Wonder if that sway bar I
> sold him at Portland is installed yet?

Thanks, Mark. I took a couple of days of vacation and have been
indulging myself in Santa Fe Tuesday and Wednesday (hot tubs, exquisite
food, museums and indolence count, too <smile>), so didn't read this
message until Wed. evening.

Nope, sway bars not connected yet. Still trying to make space to do some
of that work. Have to get the GT6 body out of my tiny (10.5' x 16')
garage and to the painters before other work can begin. And still have
not been able to convince my employers that I'm paid for 40 hours a
week, not 60. <smile>

And with list content in mind, Bob asked me why I thought a good choice
for an Ambro conversion was an IRS TR4A, rather than a live axle TR4. I
offered my thinking to him last week, but I'd be most interested to hear
from those who have campaigned both IRS and live axle TR4s, and to hear
benefits and detriments of both. I'm presuming that we're not talking
about early 4As with the lousy splines, which I hope are more or less
gone for good.

Along those lines, I'd also like to hear from those in the West who have
run afoul of the rules of their clubs with regard to modifying rear 4A
halfshafts to more modern equipment, such as CV joints.

Cheers, and thanks to Bob Paul for the nomination, and the various
seconds from friends. Hope to see some of you on the track in the next
year or so.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

`70 GT6+ (being refurbished, slowly)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (organ donor)
`72 GT6 Mk. III (daily driver)
`64 TR4 (awaiting intensive care)
`80 TR7 (3.8 liter Buick-powered)
`86 Nissan 300ZX (the minimal-maintenance road car)
`68 VW Type II Camper (Lancia twin-cam powered, but feeling its age....)

Remember:  Math and alcohol do not mix... do not drink and derive.