fot

non syncro 1st gear

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: non syncro 1st gear
From: Roberttten@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 18:18:18 EDT
Amici -

Well, I had the Spit GT out this weekend for it's first event of the season.
With 4 year old Yoko autocrossers I only managed to be 2 sec's behind the
Honda's in D-Mod, my class.  The rev-limiter by MSD worked as expected as
well as the Smiths electrical tach.  And the new jetting in the Webber seams
to be about right on.  These being some of the things I worked on over the
winter.
On the down side was the fact that the gearbox is not working properly, this
after a lengthy rebuild and modification process.  First gear syncro does not
work for a lack of a better description.  Will not downshift from 2nd into
first gear.  I suspect that the inner slider for first gear syncro might be
installed backwards.  I tried to confirm, after forgetting the order from
disassembly, the proper orientation by comparing the photo's and diagrams in
three workshop manuals but no clear view of the syncro assembly could be
found.  I even referenced a couple of parts catalogs as well with their
exploded views of transmission parts.  So in the end I took a good guess (
NOT!!) and now believe this is the result;  a non syncro first gear.
Any guesses out there??

Later,
Bob Totten
'64 Spit GT  LeMans replica/autocrosser

P.S. :   Work has begun on the spare gearbox.  First fault discovered so far
is the detent springs have collapsed in both syncro assemblies.
RWT