fot

Yet another race report

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Yet another race report
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:52:57 -0600 (MDT)
Obviously a busy weekend for some FOT folks, myself included.  Intermountain
Vintage Racing had its third event of the season this past weekend.  Already
half of our events are done, and it isn't even Memorial Day yet!  Next event
is late June, I might have time to get a car ready.

The feature this past weekend was a 1 hour Enduro.  And I am happy to say I
took the green flag behind the wheel of the red Spit, and to my surprise took
the checker as well!  Trouble is, as Uncle Jack pointed out in an earlier
report, spending half the time of an enduro in the pits pretty much rules out
a podium finish.  The good news is that even with the time in the pits spent
cooling an overly hot motor, oil dripping everywhere from some seriously
excessive blowby, I still managed to pick up 4th place.  Bad news is that the
starting field for the enduro was only 5 cars.  It was me in the Spit versus
4 early Mazda RX7s.  At least I beat one of them, who retired after 26 laps.
I made something like 36 all told, the overall winner did 71.  It was fun,
we'll have to do it again.

And it looks like the story I sent out a few weeks ago about the breather
tube in the beer can was premature.  I really need to do a leakdown test on
that car, I have a feeling it might not be good news.

But first, I *will* get a working gearbox in Killer before the British Field
day coming up in a few weeks, June 9th.  Maybe Killer will be street legal and
licensed by then, we shall see.

mjb.