fot

Re: front wheel bearings

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front wheel bearings
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:50:01 -0400
At 07:20 AM 6/14/2001 +0000, Jack W. Drews wrote:

>We pressed lots of different bearings into bores and then disassembled
>them to see the results. We
>found that most of them, when treated this way, would leave witness
>lines in the cups from the pressure imparted by the rollers -- leading
>to future failures. There were only two brands of bearings which did not
>do this --- Timken and one other, the name of which escapes me.

I probably should have commented on this earlier, but Jack's post goes
along with what I can see happened to this NTN bearing.

The rollers and the roller cage appear as new. It is only the race (cup)
that shows distress. I need to pop the roller apart and take a look at the
inner race to see what it looks like.

Also, the bearing did not overheat. There was plenty of grease in there
when I disassembled. Between the two events that this bearing ran I did
remove the hubs and repack the bearings.