fot

Re: Solution for head gasket

To: unv@psu.edu
Subject: Re: Solution for head gasket
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:11:04 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/01 4:57:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, unv@psu.edu
writes:

<< Hi Bill and Hardy,

I have just recently had the head work completed on the TR4 and TR4A heads.
I have had hardened valve seats installed plus .090 taken off of the head per
Kasterner's competition prep manual
for a HOT street engine. Piston bore is 86 mm.

Some of the shrouding is now gone from around the intake valves and the
copper head gasket now extends slightly beyond the combustion cavity in the
head in the area where the shrouding was. >>

Hi Dan,

We just returned from a three week cruise in the Mediterranean.  Hopefully I
can start working on the car again.

<<Should I go with the steel shim head gasket and file out the area around
the intake valves where it projects into the combustion chamber cavity? >>

You will gain an awful lot more compression using the steel head gasket.  If
you feel that this is acceptable for street driving, you would remove the
metal that extends into the combustion chamber.  You might end up buying
racing fuel in a can to drive on the highway, plus potential overheating
problems.

Others in the past including myself have also thrown on steel head gaskets
with the metal extending into the combustion chamber when in a hurry to make
race.  Nobody noticed any great negative effect from doing this.  I have also
used copper head gaskets on stock engines with my cut head while trying to
push in another race at the end of the season - pulling all-nighters to
change out the engine.

<<Should I use some type of head gasket sealer?>>

We have always used the spray can Permatex, and tried to get an even coat on
both sides of the gaskets.

I will copy your message to the FOT list.  Should anyone complain about my
doing this, I will have to stop.  All computers are also equipped with Delete
Keys.

<<Subj:  Solution for head gasket
I have just recently had the head work completed on the TR4 and TR4A heads.
I have had
hardened valve seats installed plus .090 taken off of the head per
Kasterner's competition prep manual
for a HOT street engine. Piston bore is 86 mm.

Some of the shrouding is now gone from around the intake valves and the
copper head gasket
now extends slightly beyond the combustion cavity in the head in the area
where the shrouding was.

Could you please give me your recommendations as to what the proper
direction would be to go
with the head gasket.

Should I go with the steel shim head gasket and file out the area around
the intake valves where it projects into the combustion chamber cavity?

Should I use some type of head gasket sealer?

Could you please send me your recommendations.

Yours in Triumph
TS25801L

Dan Styduhar
unv@psu.edu  >>