fot

RE: Hub Removal Tool]

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hub Removal Tool]
From: Russ Moore <rem@CBORD.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:28:23 -0400
     From: Russ Moore <rem@CBORD.com>
     Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 13:01:53 -0400

Joe,
In the past I have used a 3 or 4 jaw gear puller and an impact air wrench. I
tighten up the puller as much as possible, bathe the shaft area in a
penetrating oil and use sharp impact blows on the end of the puller screw to
jar the hub lose with a hammer. Mostly the hub flys off! I have had success
in 9 out of 10 instances. The tenth one I had to remove the entire assembly
and use some heat on the hub to loosen it. Make sure anyone doing this,
checks the axles for fractures. I have found partial fractures on some
unsuspected axles on street cars. Usual site is near the keyway. For racing
applications there is a one piece conversion from Summer's Bros. in
California that is the hot ticket and much better designed and using far
superior materials.
Let me know if I can assist.
Russ Moore
Spitfire #49