fot

Re: aluminum hubs - last call

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aluminum hubs - last call
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 09:05:11 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/01 1:47:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM writes:

<< Bill :

 I was just comparing them this morning, and if the Southwick hubs give a
 wider track at all, it's by a very small amount, no more than 1/4" total.
Randall >>

Thanks for the input Randall.  I am copying the list because I am looking for
ideas about widening the TR-3 front track.  SCCA has for some time allowed
the TR-3s to have the same track as the TR-4s.  Installing the TR-4 rear end
housing pretty much takes care of the rear track.

There have been many approaches towards increasing the front track:

1) Install longer hub studs and stack aluminum plates behind the wheel rims.
This move encourages the hubs to break.  I have not been able to find wheel
studs longer than 3 inches.  Some people say that grade 8 bolts are just as
good as wheel studs.  I am not sure -- the hardness might be different.  I
did see an ex-Group 44 car with very long studs, which were larger in
diameter than 1/2 inch.

2) Install a TR-4 frame -- massive task for someone who does most of the
grunt work himself.  My TR-4 frame stored outdoors under kerosene and black
plastic may now be rotted.

3) Move out the suspension mounting points and use TR-4 suspension and
steering parts.  This takes some cutting and re-welding.

Of course, it goes unsaid that all these moves screw up the suspension
geometry, or bump steer.  Any information will be appreciated.