fot

RE: Weber Chokes

To: "'Joe Curry '" <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: Weber Chokes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 12:28:33 -0700
 Proably a slight case of the blind staggers. At the very least you'll
have to redo your jetting--you will reduce the air velocity at lower
engine speeds and probably lean out that range substantially. You're not
likely to see any real improvement in performance except at full throttle
and near-max rpm. If that's what you're after, then go play--at the worst
you'll be sticking the old chokes back in again.

As far as going to higher altitudes, you won't see any improvement, in
fact it will be harder to improve the tuning. At ailtitude the air density
decreases and so you generally wind up rich (though some carbs with a high
bleed air characteristic actually go the other way and become rich).
Decreasing air velocity with a bigger choke makes the jetting less
predictable--the transition from jet to jet is not as smooth (idle to air
to main). Very obvious with two stroke bikes--the ones with small carbs
relative to displacement are far less sensitive to air density than the
ones with big carbs.

Carbs are a very approximate device--getting the air and gas mixted at the
right ratio depends on having just the right atomization happen over a
wide range of air veloicities in the carb throat. It's amazing that they
work at all.