fot

Re: Locked and Limited Slip Diffs

To: John Price <jprice1@txcyber.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Locked and Limited Slip Diffs
From: Richard Good <goodparts@redrose.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 00:47:12 -0400
I assumed that most racers would not be allowed to use the Nissan diff. It is a
great alternative if you can use it. The diff is from a 300ZX and is 4.1:1 ratio
with viscous limited slip. I understand it to have a viscous fluid which heats
up,
expands, and compresses the clutches as soon as one wheel tries to turn much
faster than the other. To me, this makes more sense than and LSD that is either
locked or un-locked or one that tightens with torque or uses fixed pressure
clutches. The clutches in the viscous LSD are loose enough to allow the car to
steer freely and only tighten up as needed. I have not run the other types so
some
of you will be much more qualified judges. I have had the Nissan diff in my car
for about 4 years and still love it. I don't know what else I would want to ask
of
an LSD. Oh yes, it is quiet also. No more clunking!

My kit to mount the 300ZX diff in a TR6 includes front and rear mounting
brackets
to mount to the original frame studs, polyurethane mounts, machined flanges to
adapt from the Nissan output flanges to the TR6 axles and hardware. The mounting
kit sells for $550.
This does not include the diff. I can supply a used diff that "feels" good but
has
no warranty for $400. This price includes machining and drilling the input
flange
to accept the TR6 driveshaft. The driveshaft must be shortened two inches. I can
supply a shortened, balanced, reconditioned one for $225 exchange.

Richard Good
Good Parts
Mohnton, PA
(610)777-4457