fot

RE: How much horsepower?

To: GRMTim@aol.com
Subject: RE: How much horsepower?
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:39:29 -0700
Horsepower = Torque X RPM X C
Where C is a constant derived from unit conversions and money

I got 144 at the rear wheel for Peyote, 131 for the Cheater TR3. Different
dynos, different days. Your mileage may vary, etc.

Peyote has a steel crank, Carillos, 89 mm pistons, no idea what the cam
is, lots of headwork, Webers, very good header (custom) and a very
aggressively shaved head. Absolutely needs o-ringed head gaskets. I
haven't cc'ed it 'cause Baxter did it, but it needs a little race gas
mixed into the premium. I rev it to 6200 and some of the folks like Hardy
say "stand on it, ya big sissy!".

The Cheater has 87.5, Webers, an Erson cam, stainless header, I did the
head porting, and it's shaved minimally (probably .020"). Stock reworked
rods and nitrided crank. I rev it to 6000 and hold my breath.

Both have lightened flywheels, fancy clutches and harmonic balancers

I think the biggest things that helped me get horsepower are: Big pistons,
cam and timing aimed at 5500 to 6000 RPM, compression and head porting.
But you've got the two most knowledgeable Triumph HP guys on the planet on
line here--Hardy and Kas. Shit, Hardy's initials are HP.

As far as money goes, the TR3 motor seems very cheap to do things
to--probably because it's so limited, everything is an improvement but you
can only do so much. What are you going to do to a cast iron, pushrod,
four cylinder engine?  I've probably got $6000 into each. In some ways
that's a lot of money. But I spent a lot more doing less with other cars.
Like just rebuilding my old Maserati Mistral motor. Yuck.