fot

Re: Justification for cheating

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Justification for cheating
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 17:00:23 -0500
Last year I did a story on Vic Edelbrock and some of his vintage cars. Among
them, the Smokey Yunick "cheater" Camaro for Trans-Am. Park it alongside a
legal (i.e. Penske) Camaro of late '60s vintage and the differences become
obvious.

Thing is, in vintage/historic events, Edelbrock runs it in its full cheater
configuration because, historically, that was what the car was! The point of
vintage is not really to win races or even see who has the fastest car, but
to exercise cars from the era on the track and if they have some history all
the better. Yunick's car definitely has history, so it is appropriate that
it run in the configuration in which it made that history.

It should be noted that, according to Edelbrock, Yunick really set the car
up for record runs on the Salt Flats, and AFAIK it never actually raced
Trans-Am in that configuration, but it did show up for a Riverside Trans-Am
test day once and rather embarrassed all the others that day. Of course, if
you know anything about Smokey, you know he loved the stir it caused.

--Rocky Entriken