fot

Re: Spitfire Intermittent Misfire

To: rjmunns@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Intermittent Misfire
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:26:49 -0600
Russ,

Something to consider is the fuse that supplies the ignition. The glass
tube type of fuse can look perfect yet pass electricity when it decides
to, and not when the mood strikes.. This can cause no end of grief. It is
a cheap test and worth checking first.

Bill
70 GT-6+

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:31:05 +0100 Russell <rjmunns@btinternet.com>
writes:
> Please help
>
> I was Racing my Spitfire in the TSSC championship at Snetterton UK
> yesterday when a strange misfire occurred on the green flag lap,
> which
> nearly caused me to miss the start. I turned the engine off an
> re-started
> it and the misfire cleared. I then raced without any problems at
> all.
>
> I had experienced the same problem once before when running the day
> before
> a race. The engine was ticking over and was up to temperature, when
> it
> slowly died. I could not get the engine revs to increase with the
> throttle
> and the engine died. When I re-started the misfire had gone. I have
> never
> had a misfire when racing!
>
> Why would the engine misfire then die after ticking over, only to
> restart
> and run trouble free?
>
> The following outlines my thinking so far.
>
> 1: Not fuel as I would have problems during race rpm
> 2: Not fouling plugs as the engine would not restart as easily as it
> does
> 3: Must be electrical because of the way it clears after restarting
> 4: This leaves the following electrical items
>       A: Coil
>       B: Condenser
>       C: Cracked Distributor Cap
>       D: Rev Limiter malfunction
>
> For info, I run a 1500CC engine with points and Lucas distributor
> and Lucas
> Sport coil.
>
> Please help if you can. I think one of these will solve the problem
> but I
> want to understand what is happening as well.
>
> Russ
> Http://www.btinternet.com/~rjmunns/

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!