fot

Re:Pistons

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Pistons
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 21:51:53 EDT
>From the time that my last "good" head became long in the tooth, I have run
custom
pop-up pistons.  The flame front is unhappy, but after considerable dyno
work, the results were positive, and much more reliable that a late head with
0.220"+ removed.
The top piston ring did not enjoy the flame front distress, and Mr. Kastner's
advice
about using flat tops was good.  We needed fuel that was probably not
available
when the thicker heads were still available in the recycle yards.
I use a high silicone, low expansion piston, and they were prone to cracking
in quite a number of places.  I always caught the cracks before a DNF, and I
did push
the envelope with ignition timing and BHP/RPM.  I did work with the piston
company
trying to reduce the cracking.
  Hardy

  Hi gang

 Just a general enquiry among those of you who race with domed pistons (not a
 favoured piece of engineering in my book, but I realise that this is the only
 way to achieve high compression ratios with some engines). Have any of you
had
 any regular piston failures with them or split rings.

 Best wishes

 Paul >>