fot

[Fwd: Survey]

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fwd: Survey]
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:20:43 -0700
From: "baxter culver" <baxterculver@msn.com>
To: "spitlist" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Survey
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:27:08 -0800

The Jeep Grand Cherokee--Chevy Tahoe class--equipped with electric trailer
brake, etc would serve very well.  As would the Dodge Dakota, Chevy S10,
Ranger with V8 engine.  The thing to focus on is the brake system.  Dragging
the trailer is one thing--stopping it when some nitwit makes a mistake (always
the other guy, I know) is another.  Don't scrimp.   I towed a single-axel
trailer with a Formula Ford across the country on more than one occasion and
had no difficulty.  I was using a 1987 Jeep Cherokee (6 cyl).   I towed the
Peyote (1600 pounds) with a bunch of spares and could feel the weight pushing
the car.  I eventually bought a 20' enclosed trailer and towed with a Ford
F-350.   Exxon, Texaco and Chevron all cheered when I bought the F-350.
So, figure out all that you need/want to carry with the car, trailer, and buy
accordingly.   If I was starting again, and wanted to tow a single axle open
trailer, I would buy the Dodge Dakota with a 4.7ltr V8, set it up for trailer
brakes, and go have fun.  If I decided again to tow an enclosed trailer, I
would opt for one of the diesels and a 3/4 ton pickup for the tow vehicle.